The Bachelor of Science in Industrial & Systems Engineering is accredited by the Engineering Accreditation Commission (EAC) of ABET. This means that our program meets the quality standards set for the programs in the enineering descipline.
The mission of the School of Industrial and Systems Engineering is to produce graduates with the capability to make systems productive through optimization and integration of processes, resources, and information.
The Goals Set to Accomplish Our Mission
Prepare ISE graduates who are sought after by a wide range of enterprises to lead the development and implementation of integrated systems solutions that balance multiple objectives.
Provide global, national, and regional leadership in the design, analysis, and improvement of integrated systems through collaborative and multidisciplinary research.
Through our graduates and our research, provide systems solutions that reduce costs, increase productivity, and enhance the well being of users.
Program Educational Objectives
Our Industrial and Systems Engineering undergraduate program is preparing our recent graduates to meet the following objectives:
- Our alumni will have successful careers strengthened by knowledge of industrial and systems engineering methods and principles.
- Our alumni will be emerging or established leaders among their peers.
- Our alumni will be engaged in activities of life-long learning and professional development through willingness to take on challenges and learning opportunities.
Student Learning Outcomes
Through our Industrial and Systems Engineering undergraduate curriculum students will attain the following learning outcomes:
- An ability to apply knowledge of mathematics, science, and engineering
• Statistical distributions, data analysis (math)
• Material selection (physics, chemistry)
• Behavior of human-machine systems (anatomy, physics, psychology)
- An ability to design and conduct experiments, as well as to analyze and interpret data
• formulate hypotheses, make statistical decisions/inferences
• design appropriate experiment/model/principles
- An ability to design a system, component, or process to meet desired needs within realistic constraints such as economic, environmental, social, political. ethical, health and safety, manufacturability, and sustainability
• system modeling (define system inputs/outputs, constraints, boundaries)
• successful completion of project (Capstone)
- An ability to function on multidisciplinary teams
• value other view points, take responsibility, make contribution to team
• communication with other disciplines
• broad knowledge of engineering disciplines; have foundation in broad disciplines of engineering
- An ability to identify, formulate, and solve engineering problems
• collect and classify appropriate data
• interpret data to formulate IE problems
• develop and evaluate solutions given constraints
- An understanding of professional and ethical responsibility
• understand the engineering code of ethics, understand academic integrity
• evaluate problems from ethical perspective
• understand protection of human research participants
- An ability to communicate effectively
• use data to support ideas/solutions
• prepare effective written and oral technical communication using modern technology
• prepare for and participate in career fair
- The broad education necessary to understand the impact of engineering solutions in a global, economic, environmental, and societal context
• evaluate the economic merit of project
• understand industrial engineering practice in a modern global workplace
- A recognition of the need for, and an ability to engage in life-long learning
• complete literature review
• engage in research
- A knowledge of contemporary issues
• demonstrate awareness of relevant current events
• understand multiple topics for capstone projects (peer assessment)
• participate in extra-curricular learning activities (IIE)
- An ability to use the techniques, skills, and modern engineering tools necessary for engineering practice
• Successful completion of course project