Four-Year Merit Scholarship Guidelines
Four-Year Merit Scholarship (Award of Excellence, Distinguished Scholar, Valedictorian, University Scholar, Academic Achievement, Merit Award, and Honor Award) recipients are a prestigious group comprised of undergraduate students selected to receive partial tuition waivers on the basis of academic accomplishment.
Four-Year Merit Scholarship awards are renewable annually for up to eight semesters as long as the recipient fulfills the program requirements outlined below.
Your scholarship is awarded as a tuition waiver.
· This award will be automatically applied to your tuition expense each semester for eight semesters.
· This award cannot be used toward fees (i.e. enrollment commitment, facility, health or activity fees, housing, correspondence courses, etc).
· This award cannot be used for tuition and fees through the Graduate College, College of Liberal Studies, OU Health Sciences Center graduate studies, OU-Tulsa campus, or at any other institution.
· A student cannot recieve more than one Four Year Merit Based Scholarship. (Award of Excellence, Distinguished Scholar, Valedictorian, University Scholar, Academic Achievement, Merit Award, and Honor Award)
· Institutional scholarships, combined with other federal, state and/or institutional aid, should not exceed the published Cost of Attendance.
· In the event of early graduation, unused semester funds will be forfeited.
· If the student is enrolled in less than 12 hours during his/her final semester, the scholarship amount will be pro-rated.
Please note: A student's academic merit award may be stacked with other scholarships and/or tuition waivers; however, if stacked with tuition waivers the combined offers may not payout beyond the cost of tution (Resident-$4788, Non-resident $15,381). A non-resident tuition waiver may never be applied to the resident portion of tuition.
1. Enrollment – Four-Year Merit Scholarship recipients must enroll as a full time undergraduate student at OU each fall/spring semester and earn at least 24 credit hours each academic year.
2. Grade Point Average –
Four-Year Merit Scholarship recipients awarded prior to fall 2019 must maintain at least a 2.80 overall grade point average (GPA). Students who show academic success through an OU GPA with a 2.80 or higher will also remain eligible.
Four-Year Merit Scholarship recipients awarded during and after fall 2019 must maintain at least a 3.0 overall grade point average (GPA). Students who show academic success through an OU GPA with a 3.0 or higher will also remain eligible.
1. If a recipient does not meet the required overall or OU GPA requirement, the student will be placed on probation for one academic year. Students will continue to receive funding only during the first semester of the probationary period. Students will have one full calendar year to achieve the required overall or OU GPA. If the overall or OU GPA is not earned by the end of the probationary year, the award will be discontinued.
2. If a student’s GPA increases to the minimum requirement or above during the probationary year, the scholarship will be reinstated. Upon reinstatement, the duration of the scholarship will be reduced by the number of semesters spent on probation. The student will not have the opportunity to recoup the lost unpaid semester while on probation.
Four-Year Merit Scholarship recipients may be granted exceptions to the enrollment requirements listed above on a case-by-case basis. If a Four-Year Merit Scholarship recipient cannot enroll in the full-time required hours for any reason (including, but not limited to, medical or personal reasons, study abroad experiences, internships or because the student requires less than 12 hours to graduate), the student must complete this special conditions form (this is not for incoming/current freshman).
Incoming freshman who have scholarship and aid questions need to contact their admissions counselor.
In order to insure a timely award, Four-Year Merit Scholarship recipients that transfer to the OU Health Sciences Center to finish an undergraduate degree must notify the Scholarship Office prior to the semester transferred through this HSC transfer form.
For more information on eligibility concerns or terms of the tuition waiver, please contact the Scholarship Office at email@example.com.