Skip Navigation

Honors Advising

Skip Side Navigation

Honors Advising

In order to graduate with Honors, it is important that you meet with the cum Laude advisor at least once a year to make sure you are staying on track. We can answer questions about how to combine your major and Gen ed required courses to satisfy Honors requirements, how study abroad counts for Honors elective credit, how to contract for Honors credit, and how to complete the Honors Research requirement.

Process to Graduate Cum Laude

  • Be admitted into the Honors College.
  • Take HON 2973, Perspectives on the American Experience, 3 hours.
  • Take an Honors Colloquium (HON 3993, 3 hours) your junior or senior year
  • Complete 3 hours of HON 3980 (Honors Research)
  • Take at least 9 hours of Honors elective credit which can include Honors designated courses, HON 3960 (Honors Reading), study abroad programs sponsored by OU, and OSLEP, Feaver-MacMinn, Puterbaugh or Neustadt seminars.
  • Submit an Honors Thesis (generally, your Honors Research project) to the Honors College office prior to graduation.
  • Maintain an OU retention GPA and a Combined retention GPA of 3.40 or above.
  • Submit the Honors College graduation form to the graduation coordinator.

Students completing the Honors College curricular requirements will have a degree designation of:

  • Cum laude (3.40-3.59)
  • Magna cum laude (3.60-3.79)
  • Summa cum laude (3.80-4.00)

This is the most prestigious undergraduate degree designation attainable at the University of Oklahoma.

All Honors College students must apply to graduate with honors (located in the Honors Forms page) and make an appointment with Jeff Cooper the cum Laude Graduation Advisor by logging on to iadvise: (insert link)

Honors Coordinators

You will find a list of all the coordinators in the following document.

xls HC Coordinator List Fall 2022
Last updated: 1/12/2022

Contact an Honors Advisor

Jeff Cooper

Carolyn Morgan

For Appointment: Go to and look under "Miscellaneous advising".