International Degree Equivalency
To earn a bachelor’s degree in the U.S. educational system, students complete 16 years of formal education–12 years of elementary and secondary education plus four years of undergraduate study.
To be eligible for graduate study at The University of Oklahoma, you must have received at least a bachelor's degree or equivalent from an institution accredited by the home country's Ministry of Education (or other goverment authorized authority) to offer credit and degrees at the bachelor's level or higher.
Your Admissions Counselor will review your academic records and determine whether you are eligible for graduate study. In some instances, we may request that you submit additional documentation to assist in this process.
Frequently Seen International Degrees and Equivalency to a U.S. Bachelor's Degree
The following are examples of degrees that are considered equivalent to a U.S. bachelor's degree. This is not a complete list.
- Bachelor’s degrees representing at least four years of study from Afghanistan, China, Iran, Iraq, Japan, Jordan, Kenya, Korea, Kuwait, Laos, Libya, Mongolia, Nigeria, Oman, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Singapore, Sudan, Taiwan, Thailand, and the United Kingdom
- B.Tech., B.Eng., and other degrees representing four or more years of post-secondary study from Bangladesh, Burma, India, Nepal, and Pakistan
- Honours bachelor’s degrees from Australia, Canada, New Zealand, South Africa, and British-style schools and universities
- Licenciado and Titulo degrees from Central and South America, Mexico, Portugal, and Spain
- Lisans Derecesi/Diplomasi from Turkey
- Maîtrise from France or French-style schools and universities
- Bakkalaureus, Akademiebrief, and Diplom (FH) from Germany
The following are examples of degrees that are not considered equivalent to a U.S. bachelor's degree. This is not a complete list.
- Two- or three-year Bachelor’s degrees (B.A., B.Com., B.Sc., B.C.A.) from Bangladesh, Burma, India, Nepal, and Pakistan
- Diplôme d’Études Universitaires Générales (DEUG) or Licence from France or French-style schools and universities
- Three-year Ordinary or Pass bachelor’s degrees from Australia, Canada, New Zealand, South Africa, and British-style schools and universities