Example Course Materials
As part of its Course Development Program, the Institute offers funding for OU faculty to develop new courses and redesign existing courses, in a variety of disciplines, on virtue and flourishing. See our Research & Funding page for more details. Below are example materials from successful course proposals.
- Syllabus: Methods IX - Entrepreneurial Architect and Leadership (Prof. Marjorie Callahan)
- Methods IX Virtue Assessment Plan (Prof. Marjorie Callahan)
- Syllabus: Journalism Ethics (Dr. David Craig)
- Sooner Virtues and Journalism Ethics: Incorporation into Class Content (Dr. David Craig)
Materials to Help Integrate Virtues into Courses
On April 22, 2016, Dr. Jason Baehr (Loyola Marymount University) led a workshop on teaching virtues in a university-level course, and assessing student progress toward virtue-based goals. He has permitted his slides to be posted here, along with other useful links.
- Presentation Slides (PDF)
- Educating for Intellectual Virtues (Website)
- Cultivating Good Minds: A Philosophical and Practical Guide to Educating for Intellecutal Virtues (A 550-page resource guide for educators)
On October 14, 2016, Dr. Heather Battaly (California State University, Fullerton) led a workshop on integrating the virtues into course curricula. She has permitted her handouts to be posted here.
On November 11, 2016, Dr. Felix Wao led an Assessment Gala for participants in the Institute's course development program. Dr. Wao's presentation slides and handouts are available below.
On April 28, 2017, Dr. Felix Wao led another Assessment Gala for participants in the Institute's course development program. Dr. Wao's presentation slides and handouts are available below.
- Practical Strategies for Assessing OU Virtues in the Classroom (PDF slides)
- A-Z of Assessment Methods (PDF)
- What is Compassion and How Can We Measure It? (PDF Research Article)