Fitness and Recreation is proud to offer you a group exercise program that offers the latest and hottest fitness classes. These classes are for OU affiliates including OU students, faculty, and staff and are not open to the public. The schedule is jam packed with great group fitness classes that will fit any taste or fitness level. With over 60 classes offered per week, you will have no problem finding the perfect class for you! Choose from high-energy Zumba® classes to challenging and stress relieving Yoga and Pilates classes. Highly motivating instructors will make it easy to meet your exercise needs whether you are just starting out or a veteran exerciser. Come join a fun and fantastic workout that will keep you engaged and energized all semester!
Beginning a new exercise program or taking it to the next level? Please review the Get Active Questionnaire below to determine if you should speak to your healthcare provider before beginning. Participate in these classes at your own risk. Be Active, Stay Healthy!
OU Norman campus students must purchase a group fitness membership during any semester in which they are enrolled (Fall, Spring, Summer). FIT Pass memberships may be purchased via the OU FIT+REC app or directly with the Sarkeys Fitness Center front desk.
For all other membership types, group fitness is included for the purchase of your membership.
FIT Class Descriptions
Abs Xpress (limited to 22 spots)
- Improve core (abs and back) strength using a variety of equipment
- Building the core muscles results in greater stability and athletic performance
- A fusion of dance and hypnotic international rhythms using dynamic, high energy fitness in shallow water
- Low-impact cardio and strength for all levels
Barre (Limited to 22 spots)
- Full body workout, fusing the best elements of ballet with cardio, strength, and core work
- Strengthens, lengthens, and stretches the body from top to bottom
Barre/Cycle Fusion (limited to 30 spots)
- Combines cycling, along with Barre for a balanced blend of cardio, strength, and flexibility training in a single class.
- This fusion format will provide an introduction to Barre and cycling basics as your mind and body to connect, leaving you feeling stronger, longer, and leaner!
Cardio/Strength HIIT (Limited to 22 spots)
- Total body workout using various types of HIIT interval times with cardio and strength exercises.
- Circuit format using a variety of equipment and body weight movements.
Cycling (Limited to 30 spots)
- Improve cardiovascular endurance using stationary bikes.
- Designed for all fitness levels.
Cycle Boot Camp
- Combines cardio and strength training in a single class; maximize your time by alternating sections of high-intensity cardio intervals cycling with strength training on the floor.
- Each class finishes with a yoga-inspired full body stretch to increase flexibility and help with recovery.
Cycling Xpress (limited to 30 spots)
This 30-minute version of cycling is designed to provide maximum benefit in an abbreviated workout.
- Improve cardiovascular endurance using stationary bikes with intervals, sprints, hills and lifts.
- Class is designed for all fitness levels and abilities.
- It is recommended to warm-up for a few minutes before class begins.
- A total body workout using gyros, dumbbells, noodles, and more in deep or shallow water for all fitness levels.
- An introductory class great for beginners, or those with joint pain or mobility issues.
- Improves core strength, posture, balance, joint mobility, stamina, etc.
Kickboxing/Bags (Limited to 22 spots)
- Develop strength, flexibility, and stamina utilizing a heavy bag.
- Hand protection is required.
Kickboxing 101 (limited to 22 spots)
- Learn basic punches and kicks with proper form for an effective and safe workout.
- Learn how to strike the bag properly.
- Open to all fitness levels; ideal for those new to kickboxing or anyone needing foundational instruction.
- Hand protection is required.
Pilates (Limited to 22 spots)
- Focus on breath and movement.
- Improves core strength, posture, balance, joint mobility, and stamina.
POUND® (limited to 22 spots)
- Instead of listening to music, you become the music in this exhilarating full-body workout that combines cardio, conditioning, and strength training with yoga and pilates-inspired movements.
- Using Ripstix®, lightly weighted drumsticks engineered specifically for exercising, POUND® transforms drumming into an incredibly effective way of working out.
- Designed for all fitness levels, POUND® provides the perfect atmosphere for letting loose, getting energized, toning up and rockin’ out!
Strength (Limited to 30 spots)
- Burn fat, build muscular strength and endurance
- Use dumbbells, bars, balls, and kettlebells
Strength Circuit (Limited to 22 spots)
- Burn fat, build muscular strength, and endurance
- Circuit format using a variety of equipment and bodyweight movement.
Strength Xpress (limited to 22 spots)
Burn fat, build muscular strength and endurance in this class focusing on timed sets for a workout focusing on all the major muscle groups
- Use bodyweight, dumbbells, bars, med balls, and kettlebells
- Extra attention placed on form and learning various ways to train each muscle group
STRONG® (limited to 22 spots)
Stop counting the reps and start training to the beat! STRONG® combines body weight, muscle conditioning, cardio and plyometric training moves synced to original music that has been specifically designed to match every single move. Every squat, every lunge, every burpee is driven by the music, helping you make it to that last rep, and maybe even five more.
- In each class you'll burn calories while toning arms, legs, abs and glutes. Plyometric or explosive moves like high knees, burpees, and jumping jacks are interchanged with isometric moves like lunges, squats, and kickboxing.
- STRONG® instructors change up the music and moves frequently to make sure you’re always challenged to the max.
- This class accommodates beginners through advanced, as the instructor provides various levels and modifications for each exercise.
TRX® (limited to 22 spots)
This class uses TRX® Suspension Training for a total body workout
- The class may incorporate a wide variety of equipment including kettlebells, dumbells, battle ropes, tires, and medicine balls, in addition to TRX®
- Improves cardio, strength, fat loss, and endurance
Tsunami (Limited to 11 spots)
- A fun workout, designed to grow core and joint stabilization, improve your overall fitness level, prevent injury through increased proprioception, and burn calories
- Tsunami Fitness Boards are used during this class and may be likened to the marriage of a paddleboard and yoga mat
Yoga (Limited to 22 spots)
- Classical Yoga poses to develop physical health, strength, flexibility, balance, and state of mind.
- Can accommodate beginners through advanced, as the instructor provides various levels for each exercise.
Yoga/Cycle Fusion (Limited to 30 spots)
- Combines cycling and yoga in a single class.
- Maximize your time by alternating sections of high-intensity cardio intervals cycling with yoga on the floor.
- Each class finishes with a yoga-inspired stretch to increase flexibility and help with recovery.
Zumba® (Limited to 22 spots)
- A fun, calorie-burning dance fitness workout that is a fusion of Latin-inspired dance moves, hip hop, and hypnotic International rhythms.