If you have been negatively effected by COVID-19 there are a few scholarships you can apply for. Please visit their page to learn more information:
- Norman Public Schools has a free meal option for any child under the age of 18 regardless of where the child attends school.
- The University of Oklahoma Food Pantry provides free supplemental food assistance to OU Norman Campus students, faculty and staff.
- The OU International Advisory Committee has compiled additional resources for international students on their website.
- The city of Norman has provided a resource list which includes food pantry information and resources for mental health, rent and financial assistance, transportation, etc. Open resource list (PDF)
- Family Care Financial Resources: During the pandemic, OU has established a temporary program to help support eligible graduate students with children who incur unexpected family care expenses during this period of school disruption.
A possible option for employment authorization for certain qualifying international students is proof of severe and unforeseen economic hardship. If an F-1 or J-1 student enters into severe and unforeseen economic hardship, s/he may apply to the USCIS for permission to work for any off-campus employer. The USCIS grants economic hardship employment authorization on a very limited basis.
Examples of unforeseen circumstances include (but are not limited to):
- Loss of financial aid or on-campus employment (through no fault of your own);
- Substantial fluctuations in currency value or exchange rate;
- Inordinate increases in tuition or living costs;
- Unexpected changes in the financial condition of your source of support;
- Medical bills; and
- Other substantial and unexpected expenses.
USCIS adjudicates these applications, which generally take about 90 days. They charge a fee of $410.
Some students might be eligible for fee waivers, although it is not clear yet how often USCIS is approving fee wavers for Coronavirus-related financial issues. If USCIS does not approve the fee waiver, then the whole application would need to be resubmitted.