The Community and Inclusion Committee meets regularly to discuss and work on various aspects related to its charge. The committee also promotes educational events and discussions.
Events during the Spring 2021 included:
- Town Hall Meeting of Community and Inclusion Committee: Friday, 02/05; 3.30-4.30pm (virtual).
- Physics and Astronomy Colloquium by Dr. Renee Horton entitled "The Pain of Exclusion and the Intersection of Diversity and Inclusion," Thursday, 02/11, 3.45-4.45pm (discussion followed, ~5-6pm); put on jointly with Womxn in Physics group.
- Hosted Arlene Modeste Knowles, TEAM-UP Diversity Project Manager at the American Institute of Physics virtually on April 13, 2021. The presentation was entitled "The AIP TEAM-UP Report and Supporting African American Physics Students." The presentation (3-4pm) was followed by an hour of discussion.
During the Spring 2021, the committee worked, among other things, on:
- Outline of a DEI initiative document (components of the document formed the basis for portions of the departmental draft Strategic Plan).
- Discussion of the TEAM-UP report, with focus on implications for the P&A Department at OU.
Events for Fall 2020 included:
- Informational presentation by and discussion with Dr. Monica Plisch and Brian Clash, American Physical Society (APS), on the APS Bridge Program.
- Graduate student training by Dr. Elizabeth Karr, Associate Dean of the Graduate School.
- Faculty training by Dr. Rodney Bates, Director of Graduate Student and Postdoc Retention and Support.
- Co-hosted, together with Womxn in Physics, DEI colloquium speaker Prof. Angela Speck.
During the Fall 2020, the committee worked, among other things, on:
- Planning and implementing the "Drop Box" that is now part of the committe's website.
- Writing the first draft of the departmental Code of Conduct, presenting it to the faculty, incorporating feedback, and getting the Code of Conduct approved by the faculty.
- Leading the discussion on adding students to the Undergraduate Studies Committee, the Graduate Studies Committee, and the Graduate Recruiting and Selection Committee, in addition to having student, postdoc, and staff representation on the Community and Inclusion Committee.