Majors and Careers
Trouble Choosing A Major?
Dr. Crynes exploring majors with a student
Need help deciding on a major that fits your interests, skills and career goals? Using our interest assessment tests and expert knowledge of OU majors and careers, our Major Exploration Coaches will help you discover your options and decide on an academic major. Finding and declaring a major should be a thoughtful process and we offer a variety of free resources to help:
- Free, online and in-office career assessments
- Worksheets for identifying interests, values, and skills
- Knowledge of helpful online resources
- Major Coaching by appointment to:
- Interpret assessment outcomes
- Identify academic and occupational relationships (which majors lead to which jobs)
- Discuss decision-making influences (e.g. what’s holding you back?)
- Two, 8-week courses: UCOL 2021: Choosing a Major and UCOL 1030: Exploring Careers.
- Seminars and presentations for your student groups or organizations
- Annual Majors/Minors Fair
The Explore Sooner program combines advising and the exploration program to meet the specific needs of students who choose begin college without declaring a major. Students are advised through the Center for Major and Career Exploration and are assigned their own exploration coach. The student will meet individually with their assigned coach who will engage them in the process of exploring and selecting a major while assisting them with course selection. Students will have full access to the available assessments, expertise, classes, and resources of the CMCE. Once the student has declared their major and has met the requirements, they will move to their new college for advisement. However, the exploration resources at the CMCE will continue to be available to the student throughout their time at OU.
Major Exploration Coaches
Dr. Stephen Crynes
Director of the Center for Major & Career Exploration
Stephen has a B.A. in History, M.ED in Student Affairs and a PhD in Higher Education Administration, and is a Certified Career Development Facilitator. He worked in both the non-profit and corporate world before returning to the world of Higher Education. Stephen is also an instructor for the Gateway to College Learning, Strategies for Success, Choosing A Major and Exploring Careers courses.
Travis Lightsey, Jr.
Major Exporation Coach
Travis received his Bachelors degree from Oklahoma Baptist University in Art in 2008. He previously worked as an Admissions Counselor at Oklahoma Baptist University for 4 years before joining the OU staff. He is currently pursuing a Masters of Science Degree in Organizational Leadership.
OU Resources and Links
- Define your own road in life: http://roadtripnation.com/