Tips for Navigating Online Studying
We know that the move to an online learning environment can be challenging, stressful, and uncertain. Below you'll find some of our best tips for successfuly learning online. Note that many of the same behaviors that lead to success in a classroom setting will still work in the online environment: keep a regular schedule' commit to regular study time, and ask for help when you need it!
Technology & Communication
- If your class is meeting in a live/synchronous format, test your technology before class to ensure everything is working. Communicate with your instructor if you encounter any issues.
- Check your email and Canvas announcements often! This is the b.est way to stay up-to-date on deadlines, assignments, and expectations.
- Utilize text messaging, Facetime, Google Hangouts and other messaging apps to communicate with friends in the class.
- Don’t be afraid to ask questions. Find out if your instructors will be offering virtual office hours or what methods they will use to communicate.
- Check out http://www.ou.edu/learnanywhere for more technology resources.
- Set a specific schedule to stick to as if you were going to classes.
- Keep or create regular study time.
- Set small deadlines for yourself to space out the work and not save it all until right before it's due.
- It may be summer, but it's impottant to mentally prepare yourself for being in school.
- Make sure to dedicate time to other fun things like you would normally, but be cognizant of managing your time.
- Familiarize yourself with the syllabus, assignments, tests, and deadlines
- If you’re at home, communicate with your family members about your schedule.
- Set up a space in your house that's designated for schoolwork so you can maintain focus