>> Spring 2018 applications are currently under review
Moving Innovation Closer to the Market
The OU Growth Fund strengthens the commercial potential of disclosed University of Oklahoma innovations, and is available to researchers on all three campuses who seek funding for prototypes, additional research results, and/or “gap” funding to keep a program in place during transition.
Recipients are selected each semester after evaluation by a Growth Fund committee consisting of the Executive Director of the Office of Technology Development, the Vice President for Research of each campus, a member of the faculty of the Entrepreneurship and Economic Development Division of the Price College of Business, and an outside advisor.
The Growth Fund is a campus-specific fund outlined in the OU Intellectual Property policy and is created by historically-generated revenues from technologies on that campus. Award amounts for Norman and Norman-affiliated researchers in Tulsa are up to $50,000. For OU Health Sciences Center and HSC-affiliated researchers, the awards are up to $75,000.
In addition to funding, Growth Fund winners will receive commercialization-focused training, including a requirement to apply for participation in the National Science Foundation (NSF) I-Corps program.
• This fund is intended for shorter term, commercially-focused research projects and not to support basic research.
• Proposed projects must intend to move an innovation closer to the market.
• Projects funded in Spring 2018 must begin no later than July 1, 2018.
• All applicants must have a disclosure on file with the Office of Technology Development. More about the disclosure process can be found here.
• Applicants should be dedicated and able to participate in activities related to the commerciaization of their technology.
If you have not already disclosed your invention, it is beneficial to do so as soon as possible in advance of your Growth Fund application. This allows us to fully understand your discovery before evaluating your proposed project and funding request.
Step 1: Submit a Growth Fund application by Wednesday, February 14, 2018.*
Step 2: You will be notified if your application has moved to the full proposal stage. Full proposals are due in early April. Applicants who are invited to submit full proposals will also be required to participate in pitch presentations in April.
Step 3: 10-minute pitch presentation to Growth Fund committee.
Step 4: Award recipients announced by late April.
* For your application to be considered, you must have a disclosure on file with the Office of Technology Development.
Spring 2018 Timeline
|Step 1: Application available||Monday, January 22|
|Application due||Wednesday, February 14|
|Step 2: Full proposals invited||Wednesday, March 14|
|Full proposals due||Wednesday, April 4|
|Step 3: Pitch presentations to Growth Fund committee||Early-to-mid April (TBD)|
|Step 4: Recipients announced||Late April (TBD)|
|Projects begin & funding available||No later than July 1, 2018|
Questions? Contact Annie Smith, Growth Fund Coordinator, at (405) 325-0719 or firstname.lastname@example.org.