Equipment Liability Policy (as of August 18, 2014)
To administer the use of broadcasting equipment and facilities in the Gaylord College of Journalism and Mass Communication the following rules are imposed. These rules are based on the philosophy that the use of our equipment and facilities is a privilege, not a right. Students are expected to use the equipment and facilities responsibly and respectfully.
Rules of Usage
- Equipment and facilities may only be used by students currently enrolled in JMC courses that require equipment and facilities use.
- A current Equipment Liability Policy and Agreement MUST be on file before equipment and facilities can be used.
- Students MUST show their ID at time of check out.
- Equipment and facilities may only be used for course work. Private use is NOT permitted.
- Absolutely no tobacco products, food or beverages are allowed in the facilities and all posted regulations must be adhered to.
- Rule infraction notices will be given to students for each violation of the policy.
- Violations include but are not limited to:
- Checking in equipment late
- Leaving equipment unattended.
- Bringing food, drink, or tobacco products into facilities.
- Failing to cancel an unwanted reservation.
- Failure to leave facilities when asked.
- A student with 3 infractions or more will not be able to use the school equipment or facilities for the remainder of the semester.
- Students may appeal an equipment and facility privilege termination to the Dean’s office of Gaylord College.
Reservation & Checkout
- Each student must make their own reservations for equipment or facilities use.
- Equipment may be reserved for a maximum of 4 hours at a time, with one reservation per student per day.
- Facilities may be reserved for a maximum of 2 hours at a time, with one reservation per student per day.
- Reservations for equipment and facilities may be made no more than 2 weeks in advance.
- Equipment or facilities must be used as reserved, unless cancelled in advance of the reserved time.
- If reserved equipment or facilities are not claimed within the first 10 minutes, the reserved time is forfeited and becomes available on a “first come, first served” basis.
STUDENTS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR THE INSPECTION OF ALL EQUIPMENT BEING BORROWD BEFORE THE PERIOD OF USE BEGINS AND AGREE TO MAKE WRITTEN NOTICE TO THE FACILITY STAFF OF ANY EQUIPMENT PROBLEM BEFORE USAGE BEGINS.
- Equipment must be returned to facility staff.
- Students may not, under any circumstances, drop off equipment and leave it unattended.
- Students must remain with equipment until staff signs off on return.
- Any malfunction, damage or loss of equipment or facilities must be reported in writing at check- in. Students must not attempt to repair or adjust any equipment.
- Equipment reservations in excess of 4 hours may only be made with prior written approval of the instructor.
- Facilities reservations in excess of 2 hours may only be mad with prior written approval of instructor.
- Equipment checked out for overnight usage may be picked up no earlier than 5:30 PM and must be returned within the first scheduled hour the next day the facility is open.
- Equipment checked in after the allotted 4 hours will result in an infraction(s).
- It is possible to receive more than one infraction during one checkout period
- The first 2 hours a piece of equipment is late will be considered the first infraction.
- The second two hours a piece of equipment is late will be considered the second
- If a piece of equipment is more than four hours late, the student will receive a third infraction.
- A student with 3 infractions or more will not be able to use the equipment or facilities for the remainder of the semester.
- Late equipment infractions may result in Student Misconduct Charges being filed by the Gaylord
- College.Penalties may range from sanctions, suspensions, up to expulsion from the University.
- All students must adhere to the above mentioned policies.
- Each student using the equipment or facilities must guarantee its safety and security during use.
- The student who has checked out the equipment or who reserved the facilities is the responsible student.
- Students accept full responsibility for loss (including theft or damage) of equipment/facilities used under the terms of this agreement. Student acknowledges misuse, theft, or damage of equipment will likely result in OU Student Misconduct Charges being filed by the Gaylord College. Penalties may range from sanctions, suspensions, up to expulsion from the University.
- Students accept responsibility for becoming thoroughly familiar with proper use and operation of equipment prior to its use and agree to request instruction on proper use of such equipment.
Equipment is available for checkout from GYLD Room 1630 only.
Equipment Room/The Cage phone number is (405) 325-7194.