Applications are invited from top students interested in shaping tomorrow's media landscapes to The Gaylord College of Journalism and Mass Communication at the University of Oklahoma. We offer M.A. and Ph.D. degrees in all areas of journalism and mass communication, as well as one of the nation's few Master's in Professional Writing (MPW) degrees.
M.A. and M.P.W. Admission Criteria
The Masters program at the Gaylord College of Journalism and Mass Communication admits students with a variety of academic backgrounds with bachelor’s degrees in many areas. To allow for students without previous academic work in media, required coursework can be taken concurrently with graduate coursework during the first two semesters of study.
To be accepted to the program, a student must have (based on new scale effective Aug. 11, 2011):
- a 3.2 GPA (on a 4.0 scale) in the last 60 credit hours of undergraduate coursework
- taken the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) in the last five years
- preferred minimum quantitative score is 150
- preferred minimum verbal score is 150
- preferred minimum analytical writing (essay) score is 4.5
- taken the TOEFL and TWE if not from the United States
Students who do not meet some of the above academic requirements may still be admitted on a conditional basis. However, the GRE and TOEFL requirements are mandatory for all students.
Practice materials for the GRE and TOEFL can be found on www.examfocus.com.
Prior coursework requirements
Master of Arts applicants
- Media Writing
- Mass Communication History or Law (junior or senior level), and
- One other journalism or mass communication course (junior or senior level)
- One undergraduate- or graduate-level Statistics course
Master of Professional Writing applicants
- Short-story writing or
- Writing for entertainment media
NOTE: If you have not taken all of these courses, but are otherwise qualified, you may receive conditional admission and may take these courses concurrently with graduate coursework during your first two semesters.
Students who do not meet GPA or coursework requirements may still be admitted on a conditional basis. This does not apply to TOEFL or GRE. Please call 405-325-2722 or contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you have questions about your status.