Advising & Enrollment
Academic advising is the primary function of University College. Professional academic advising staff are available throughout the year to help you decide on majors, select appropriate courses, and become acquainted with university policies and resources. Our goal is to provide students with the support they need to succeed at the University of Oklahoma. After advisement, you then enroll in courses online at ozone.ou.edu. New students to the University will enroll through the New Sooner Enrollment program.
Preparing to be Advised
You are encouraged to prepare for your advising meeting, so we recommend doing the following to have the most productive session:
- Many students in University College have not yet chosen a major, and at least half of the students who have declared a major will change degree programs during their first year. Taking career assessments can assist in giving some direction and clarity for general aptitudes, talents, and skills. You can also meet with major exploration coaches to explore degree options.
- Check out the degree requirements for your major(s) and/or minor, to get an idea of coursework and other requirements.
- Be familiar with the General Education requirements. These are courses that are common to every degree program at the university. To see the complete list of General Education Requirements, visit the General Education information from Enollment.
- Find courses and free electives you are interested in taking. When you meet with your advisor, you will discuss how those courses may or may not fit into your degree plan, including if they count towards your General Education requirements.
Scheduling Your Advising Appointment
Enrolling in Courses
Ater your appointment:
- You will enroll in your classes at ozone.ou.edu. oZONE allows students to browse class schedules and enroll in courses over the web.
- Your enrollment window is based on the number of credit hours you have earned. So, the more hours you have, the earlier you can enroll.