FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
CONTACT: OU Public Affairs, 325-1701
NORMAN – Students and their families and friends attending the University of Oklahoma’s 2013 Commencement ceremony on Friday, May 10, are asked to leave behind certain items that are prohibited because of security reasons. All who enter The Gaylord Family – Oklahoma Memorial Stadium, 180 W. Brooks St., for Commencement are subject to search, as are all carried items.
Except for items pertaining to medical conditions or child care, all bags, backpacks, large cases for binoculars or other items, fanny packs and large purses (larger than 10-inch-by-10-inch) are prohibited. Prohibited items must be returned to the owner’s car or discarded, and any unlawful items are subject to confiscation.
Other prohibited items include:
· alcoholic and other beverages (empty water bottles will be allowed and water is available for purchase inside the stadium)
· banners and signs
· beach balls
· fanny packs
· food and beverages
· folding chairs or stools (stadium seats with armrests without pockets are allowed; stadium seats will be available for rental for $5 each)
· ice chests, coolers and other similar containers
· laser pointers
· all noise makers (e.g., air horns, whistles)
· pets (other than service animals)
· personal heaters
Items that are allowed for Commencement and Convocations only include stadium seats as described above, cameras and video cameras, baby strollers and baby seats.
In the event of severe weather, Commencement will be moved to Lloyd Noble Center, 2900 S. Jenkins Ave. For more information on the inclement weather plan for Commencement, please visit www.ou.edu/commencement on the left of the screen click on Commencement Information and then Inclement Weather Plan.
For the latest information on Commencement and the individual college convocations and receptions, please visit www.ou.edu/commencement.