Skip Navigation
academic advising website wordmarkOU homepageAcademic Advising homepage

How To Withdraw From All Classes

Withdrawal occurs if a student drops all of the classes after classes begin. If withdrawal occurs before the tuition obligation deadline, there are no tuition charges. If the student withdraws after the deadline, the student will be charged full tuition rates.*

When withdrawing from all of your classes it is critical that you make an informed decision, as there could be an unexpected impact on financial aid, insurance eligibility, etc. Please check with financial aid, your insurance company, or other entities that might need verification of your enrollment before you proceed.

We strongly encourage you to let your academic advisor know your circumstances as a part of making an informed decision that could have far-reaching consequences.

*Federal regulations require First Time Title IV Attendees (students receiving federally guaranteed financial aid for the first time at OU) to be charged on a different schedule if they withdraw from school after classes begin. Refund schedules for students in this category are available on request from the Financial Aid office, (405) 325-4521.

Steps To Withdraw From All Classes

Step 1

  • Report to your college advising office for a "withdrawal card."

Step 2

  • Visit with your college-level academic counselor to process the complete withdrawal.
    • Each college has its own process relative to securing grades and faculty signatures, and you will need to check with your academic counselor about your college's process.
    • If you are absolutely unable to visit your academic counselor in person, please call your college's academic advising office for further instructions. Advising office contact information is available on the About Advising page, under the "The Who-How-Where of Advising."

Step 3

  • Turn in the withdrawal card to Enrollment Services, 230 Buchanan Hall. (Note: Some colleges require the student to return the withdrawal card to the college's academic advising office before submitting it to the Enrollment Services office. Check with your college's advising office for instructions.)

Students withdrawing from all courses in the first ten weeks of fall and spring classes receive the grade of W in each course of enrollment.

Beginning with the eleventh week through the last day of classes of the semester, instructors must assign a grade of W or F in each course upon withdrawal.

After final exams have begun, requests for a Complete Withdrawal require approval of the Dean of your college.

Students must follow these procedures to receive any refund of fees during specified refund periods.

Students will be held responsible for the cost of room and board if either or both are furnished by the University.