Skip Navigation

Jobs for Students

Skip Side Navigation

Jobs for Students

On Campus Employment

All F-1 students are allowed to work on the OU-Norman campus up to 20 hours per week during the Fall and Spring semesters. Students may work over 20 hours per week during Spring, Summer, and Winter breaks.

Students may apply for on campus jobs at Contact Human Resources with questions or for help with looking for an on campus job in the NEL building (32 on the OU map), call 405-325-1826, or or complete the OU HR contact form at

Off Campus Employment

F-1 Students

CPT authorizes you for work in an off-campus internship that is required by and/or will count towards your degree program.

Curricular Practical Training (CPT)

If you are experiencing economic hardship, you can apply to the USCIS for work authorization.

Economic Hardship Employment Authorization

Post-completion OPT authorizes you for a year of off-campus employment after you graduate from OU.

Optional Practical Training (OPT)

The OPT STEM Extension allows students with "STEM" (Science, Technology, Engineering, Math) degrees to apply for a 24 month extension of OPT.  Click here for a list of STEM majors (PDF).

OPT STEM Extension

J-1 Students

Academic training provides work authorization for the purpose of work, training, or experience related to a student’s field of study.

Academic Training

F-1 and J-1 Students

There are strict rules on volunteering and unpaid internships. This guide will help you understand what is allowed as a volunteer or unpaid intern.

Volunteering and Unpaid Internship Info