Frequently Asked Questions
Why haven't I received my I-20/DS-2019 yet?
- Were you admitted by the Office of Admissions or the Office of Graduate Admissions? We cannot issue an I-20 or DS-2019 for you until you are admitted to the university by the Office of Admissions or Office of Graduate Admissions. A recommendation for admission from your department is insufficient.
- Did you request express shipping using eShip Global through the correct office? Bachelor students must select the Office of Admissions. Students coming from another school in the US, Master’s, and Doctoral students must select International Student Services. If you selected the wrong office, contact eShip Global at firstname.lastname@example.org to change your shipment to the correct office.
- Are you transferring from another school in the US? We cannot create your OU I-20 until the date your I-20 is transferred to the University of Oklahoma.
When should I arrive at OU?
Students starting in the Fall semester should arrive the Monday before classes start. Students starting in the Spring semester should arrive the Tuesday before classes start. This will give you plenty of time between your arrival and Crimson Connection, the mandatory in-person orientation.
How do I enroll?
International Student Services does not enroll international students in classes. For information on enrolling, please speak with your academic advisor or department chair. See How to Get Advised (http://www.ou.edu/content/enrollment/how_to/get_advised.html).
What are these holds on my account?
· “Title IX” (Sexual Misconduct Awareness Training) – complete the course online at onpoint.ou.edu. This hold WILL prevent you from enrolling.
· “Attend ISS Arrival appointment” – come to the ISS office as required to maintain your legal immigration status. This hold WILL NOT prevent you from enrolling.
How do I get a U.S. bank account or a phone?
Phone and banking services are available for set up before Crimson Connection each semester. If you need a local bank account or a local phone, please plan to arrive to Crimson Connection early to set up these services. Multiple choices will be provided but students must be in orientation by the beginning regardless if they have their services set up or not.
Beyond Crimson Connection, International Programming does not assist with setting up any other banking or phone services.
What is the International Gateway class?
Incoming F1 freshman and transfer-in students are required to enroll in the international section of the University College's "Gateway to College Learning" class. This is a semester long, 2 credit hour class that introduces students to the OU community and how to manage their college career at OU, but specifically designed for international students. This freshman level class covers topics such as the nature of higher education, library use, time management, essential academic skills (critical reading, writing, listening as well as test taking), campus policies, campus resources, and career education. This course does not count for major credit in any department. However, this course may count for elective credit as granted by a department.
How do I get a Driver's License?
If you have a license from your home country, you do not need an Oklahoma Driver's License. You must bring your driver's license and passport with you whenever you drive.
If you do not have a driver's license from your home country, or you forgot to bring it, you must acquire an Oklahoma Driver's License before you drive in the U.S. For more information on getting an Oklahoma Driver's License, please visit the DMV.