Skip Navigation

Frequently Asked Questions

Skip Side Navigation

Frequently Asked Questions

Each US consulate has a slightly different process. Contact the closest US consulate to you from more details on how to apply. Click here for more information on US consulates abroad.

You can enter the US 30 days or less before the start date on your Form I-20.

The I-20 allows you to apply for an F-1 visa that will permit you to apply for entry to the US for the purpose of attending CESL.

Yes, you may obtain an I-20 for a less than one year period.  Advise OU CESL at the time you apply.

You are encouraged to enjoy your stay in the US, but it is very import that your travel does not conflict with days you should be attending classes at CESL. Missing class could affect your academic performance. This could cause you to lose your visa status, which would require you to return home.

To return to the US and resume CESL classes, you must have a valid passport, a valid F-1 or J-1 visa and your I-20 or DS-2019 signed by the OU ISS office for travel. Plan ahead and request a travel signature for your documents at least 2 weeks before you travel. We recommend that you submit your documents to our office for a travel signature when you purchase your tickets or make your travel plans.

If you enter the US using an OU CESL I-20, you must begin classes at the next available session. Failure to do so will result in a loss of your immigration status.

The estimated cost of CESL tuition and living expenses for one year is posted on the CESL website here. It is very important that you have enough money to support yourself while away from home. If you cannot meet your financial responsibilities and/or enroll, your immigration status may be negatively impacted, and you could lose your visa status.

Immigration and academic records are private and confidential, and are protected information in the US. If you would like to designate someone to pick up your documents for you from our office, email our office to state that they have your permission to do so.

The cost of medical services for everyone in the US is astronomical. It is mandatory that all international students, including CESL students, purchase and maintain medical insurance that includes hospital, medical, and repatriation insurance.

Yes. CESL students on an F-1 visa can get a job on campus - never off campus. You can work up to 20 hours per week while classes are in session.

Yes, if you have an on-campus job. After you have a job offer, please follow these steps:

  1. Get an employer offer letter, on letterhead
  2. Request an ISS letter by completing the online letter request form
  3. Take the required documents to the Social Security Administration office in Moore

There are many housing options for CESL students. You can choose to live on campus; for more information, see the University Housing and Food Services website. You may also choose to live off campus; if so, you are responsible for all the necessary arrangements, and may find it more difficult to obtain a short-term lease.  If it is your first CESL session, or you are under 19 years old when you enter CESL, you must stay in on campus housing.

Your passport is your proof of your citizenship. You need it to enter the US and to reenter your own country. You must maintain a valid passport at all times while you are in the US.