Department of International and Area Studies
Top 10 Reasons to Join IAS
- We promote and advocate for the internationalization of the university experience.
- We are home to people of different backgrounds, nationalities, experiences, perspectives and worldviews.
- We have a multi-disciplinary department comprised of talented professors who study diverse regions and issue areas.
- We have study abroad offerings in over 100 cities throughout 50 countries across the globe.
- We operate study centers in Brazil, Italy and Mexico.
- We offer career-networking opportunities, including a Washington and the World experience and the LEAdership Fellows (LEAF) program.
- We provide scholarships to help fund study abroad programs, internships and research.
- We house the Department of State (DOS) Diplomat in Residence and participate in the DOS Diplomacy Lab.
- We have a growing base of alumni in every corner of the world.
- We coordinate the Arabic Language Flagship Program.
Recent Graduates are:
- Working at US Embassies around the world.
- Employed with the United Nations.
- Attending medical or law school.
- Developing non-profit and non-governmental organizations.
- Researching for governmental offices and think tanks.
- Doing work with the European Union.
- Serving in the US Military.
- Researching or teaching on Fulbright Fellowships.
- Traveling as international reporters.
- Engaged in national politics.
- Participating in the Peace Corps and United States Agency for International Development.